LOCATION and HISTORY of SANT CELONI Village

This workshop will take place in the Suís Hotel at Sant Celoni (Barcelona) from 19 to 21 May 2010.

This village was born under the Montseny massif (nowadays Natural Park and reserve of the biosphere). Sant Celoni has an interesting history starting in the XI century. By then the Sirs of Montseny massif built a chapel dedicated to Saint Celoni just touching the existing rural path going from Barcelona to Girona. Early on the XIII century the village was composed of 72 houses, while on the XIV century the population reached about 1,000 inhabitants. On 1405 Sant Celoni was owned by the Cabrera family who completed that way his control on the Montseny territory.

On the Middle Ages Sant Celoni had a fortified interior that is currently preserved in what is today called the Fora District. The craftwork and the market were the main occupations of Sant Celoni inhabitants. The textile industry flourished during the XIX and beginning of XX centuries, favored by the arrival of the railroad on 1860.

Nowadays Sant Celoni is easily reachable from Barcelona in less than in hour by the C2 RENFE line (rodalies). Also the freeway AP7 allows a quick access to this town, just taking exit 11 when we travel in direction Girona.

Source: Sant Celoni city council